Frequently Asked Questions

Listed below are some common questions asked by students at LSUHSC-Shreveport. Additional questions should be forwarded to the Student Financial Aid Office at or by phone at (318)675-7893. 

What is the first step in applying for Federal Student Aid?  

Complete the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) for the appropriate award year A PIN number must be used to file the application electronically. For more information on the application steps, please go to the Financial Aid Office website and click on the Application Process.  

Do I need to include my parents’ data on the FAFSA? 

If you are in a Graduate or Professional program you are not required to report your parents’ information on the FAFSA. However, if you are enrolled in an Undergraduate program, and are a Dependent Student, then you have to report parental information on the FAFSA as requested.

Where do I find out how much I have borrowed in Federal Student Loans?

You can gain information about your student loan debt by logging in to the National Student Loan Database at You will need your Federal Student Aid Pin to login.  In order to view your total federal loan history, click on “Financial Aid Review”.

I need the form that shows how much tuition I paid for my taxes.  Where do I get this form and what is it called?  

The 1098-T Form is used to determine a student’s eligibility for certain education tax credits and it lists the amount of eligible tuition paid for the year.  The 1098-T is distributed by the Accounting Services Office.  For more information about the 1098-T form, contact the Accounting Office at 318-675-5371.

This is my last semester, what should I do with my loans?

1. Complete the Exit Counseling requirements.  The Financial Aid Office will send you instructions for completing this requirement.  You may also view the instructions on the Forms page of the Financial Aid Office website.

2. Determine how much you owe in Federal Student Loans and whom you owe it to. You can view your total federal loan history at On the National Student Loan Database’s website, you can also determine who your loan servicer is, and whether you may have more than one loan servicer.

3. Decide if you need to consolidate your Federal Student Loans. For more information on consolidating your Federal Student Loans into a Direct Consolidation Loan, visit

4. Review the repayment plan options available to you.  

5. Create an online account with your servicer so that you may update your contact information, make payments, change payment plans and monitor your loan status.  Keep your contact information up to date.

When will I receive my award?

Once the student has completed the FAFSA and submitted the application electronically the student should receive an electronic notice that the Student Aid Report (SAR), the results of the FAFSA, is available.  The school listed on the FAFSA receives an electronic copy of the SAR (ISIR) within 5 to 7 days typically of the application being processed.  This is the first step in the process of applying for federal financial aid.

The review and awarding process progresses as follows:

  1. Student ISIR is placed in date order to be reviewed by the Financial Aid Office staff.
  2. Missing documents needed to complete the student’s file are requested.
  3. Verification is completed if student was selected for verification. Corrections are made to the students ISIR information if necessary to correct errors found during verification.
  4. Financial Aid Office makes awards.  All students will automatically be awarded the maximum loan available for the academic year.  
  5. Financial Aid Office notifies student of new award.
  6. Student accepts, reduces, or declines the award in the Student Self-Service portal.
  7. The Financial Aid Office updates the student’s award packages.

What do ISIR and SAR mean?

ISIR and SAR are acronyms. ISIR stands for Institutional Student Information Record (ISIR). This is a term that the financial aid staff use for the student’s FAFSA after it has been processed by the Department of Education. SAR stands for Student Aid Report (SAR). The SAR is sent to the student from the Department of Education after their FAFSA has been submitted to the school. The Student must read and review their Student Aid Report to ensure it is correct.

Can I request additional money?

The Student Financial Aid Office computes a total “Cost of Attendance” figure or “Budget” based on the required direct or indirect educational expenses which make it possible for a student to attend college.  The COA may only include expenses that are incurred during the period of enrollment.  Students cannot borrow more than the Cost of Attendance allowed for their program. If the financial aid awarded does not equal the total cost of attendance, there may be remaining eligibility for a Federal Direct Plus, Federal Direct Grad Plus, or Private Lender credit based loan. Contact the Financial Aid Office regarding eligibility.  

What does Initiated mean for items listed in my “To Do” list?

Items listed as “Initiated” in the checklist are items that are needed to complete the student’s file. Once the item is received it is marked “Active” to indicate it has been received but has not yet been reviewed.  The final step in removing items from the “To Do” list is for the Financial Aid Office to review the document and if found to be complete the item will be updated and no longer appear in the “To Do” List.

What should I do if I can’t accept my award on student self-service?

Be sure that you have followed the correct sign-on instructions. Check your internet browser, and follow the PeopleSoft Sign-On and Sign-Off Instructions. These instructions can be found on our website at . If you are still unable to accept your award, then contact the financial aid office at 318-675-5561 or