2016

  • G. E. Ghali, DDS, MD, FACS, FRCS(Ed) becomes Interim Chancellor and Dean.

 

2015

  • Rehabilitation Sciences Department Head and Director of the Physical Therapy program at the School of Allied Health Professions Dr. Sharon Dunn was elected president of the American Physical Therapy Association.
  • The School of Allied Health Professions acquired a robotic gait system device to help patients relearn how to walk and to train physical therapists with the latest technology.
  • A “lab on a chip” invention from the lab of Professor of Pathology and Director of the Center for Cardiovascular Diseases and Sciences Chris Kevil won the Louisiana Startup Prize and received a provisional patent for commercialization by the new company Innolyzer.
  • A time capsule, to be opened on the 50th anniversary, was placed in the library as part of the 40th Founders Day celebration held October 28.
  • A new breast imaging fellowship was established in the Department of Radiology.
  • The Board of Supervisors approved creation of the Brad and Kay McPherson Professorship in Developmental Pediatrics.
  • The Department of Oral and Maxillofacial Surgery received authorization from the Commission on Dental Accreditation to expand from three to four residents per year starting in 2016.
  • LSU Shreveport and the School of Allied Health Professions established joint programs in Cardiopulmonary Science and Medical Technology leading to a BS in Biological Sciences degree.
  • Assistant Professor of Neurosurgery, Hai Sun, MD, PhD, performed the first epilepsy surgery in the region.

 

2014

  • In a rare concurrence of accreditations, the Liaison Committee on Medical Education (LCME) grants the School of Medicine a full eight-year accreditation and the Southern Association of Colleges and Schools Commission on Colleges also grants the campus maximum reaffirmation of 10 years.
  • School of Medicine Dean Andrew Chesson, MD, retires after more than 35 years at the Health Sciences Center and is given the honorary title of Dean Emeritus by The LSU Board of Supervisors.
  • John Marymont, MD MBA, is named Interim Dean of the Medical School.
  • The Louisiana Board of Regents unanimously approved the Center of Research Excellence designation for the Feist-Weiller Cancer Center through December of 2019.
  • The Medical School’s Quality Enhancement Plan, “Translating Research into Practice,” launches.
  • Dr. Nathan Martin, the first dually-trained Emergency Medicine/Family Medicine physician at LSU Health Shreveport, graduates.
  • The School of Medicine’s largest class ever begins. At 125 members, the Class of 2018 has seven more students than the year before.
  • Mollie E. Webb Speech & Hearing Center marks 40 years. 
  • The School of Allied Health Professions introduces a free app.
  • Edna Sherling Boatright bequeaths almost $250,000 toward cancer research and Dr. Gary Von Burton become the first recipient of the Edna Sherling Boatright Professorship in Cancer Care.
  • Dr. Patrick Carrington joins the faculty, reviving the dermatology program.
  • Dennis O’Callaghan, PhD, is awarded a 5-year grant of more than $4.82 million to continue and expand the capabilities of the Center for Molecular and Tumor Virology (CMTV).
  • LSU Health Shreveport is named part of the Gulf South Minority/Underserved NCI Community Oncology Research Program to give underserved cancer patients local access to clinical trials.
  • Otolaryngology/HNS Chair Dr. Cherie-Ann Nathan’s invention of a potentially head and neck cancer-preventing gum using curcumin receives funding through LSU grant.
  • Trauma faculty lead the successful reaccreditation of the hospital’s Level 1 Trauma Center.
  • The Louisiana Board of Regents renews the Arthritis and Rheumatology program as a Center of Excellence.
  • The School of Medicine announces it will offer the first-ever international elective.
  • LSU Health Shreveport debuts a new logo more closely resembling the LSU brand. 

 

2013

  • Auction of land bequeathed to LSU Health Sciences Center by Malcolm and Carroll Feist nets more than $3 million for research.
  • Inaugural School of Medicine Class of 1973 celebrates 40th anniversary of graduation by walking with 2013 graduates.
  • New mobile clinic hits the road to provide free cancer screenings.
  • New Surgical Skills Simulation lab opens in the School of Medicine.
  • The Rare EXIT (Ex Utero Intrapartum Treatment) procedure is performed on a baby with airway defect.
  • A new state-of-the-art Electrophysiology (EP) lab opens.
  • The Board of Regents approves funding for four professorships: the Edward and Freda Green Professorship in Surgical Oncology, the Scotty and Larene Woodard Professorship in Neurosurgery, the Nancy Jane Sentell Seale Professorship in Cancer Palliative Care and the Mary Louise and Jack R. Cassingham Professorship in Forensic Pathology.
  • The first pediatric cochlear implant in Shreveport is performed by Dr. Maura Cosetti.
  • LSU Health Shreveport and EA Conway Medical Centers transition from public to private, October 1, 2013, coming under management of the Biomedical Research Foundation of Northwest Louisiana. The hospitals and clinics are renamed University Health Shreveport and University Health Conway.
  • The Department of Neurosurgery introduces Deep Brain Stimulation surgery for Parkinson’s Disease and other movement disorders.
  • Human Genome Sequencing is introduced by Feist-Weiller Cancer Center.
  • A new 3D digital anatomy table is introduced for medical students.
  • The Board of Regents designates a new Center for Cardiovascular Disease and Science for campus.
  • Medical students begin a medical student research journal, one of the first of its kind in the US.

 

2012

  • LSU Health Shreveport receives a Louisiana DiversityFIRST Corporate Award.
  • A new ophthalmology clinic opens in the Ambulatory Care Center.
  • A pediatric dialysis joint venture provides hemodialysis so children with kidney problems don’t have to travel hours for care.
  • A new 94,000 square foot crime lab is announced for campus in conjunction with North Louisiana Crime Lab.
  • A new retail family medicine clinic opens in the Provenance development in south Shreveport.
  • The Board of Regents approves Endowed Chair for Clinical Professor of Neurosurgery, Dr. Donald Smith, establishes the Dr. George and Sandraw Bakowski Foundation Professorship for Aerodigestive Malignancies and Edward and Freda Green Professorship in Oral and Maxillofacial Surgery.
  • A Vision 2020 facility master plan is unveiled.
  • EA Conway announces the construction of a new cancer clinic.
  • Terry Davis, PhD, and Connie Arnold, PhD, share $1.2 million from a $19.9 million NIH grant for the Louisiana Clinical and Translational Sciences Center.
  • The first robotic assisted surgeries are performed for urology, gynecology, head and neck cancer and gall bladder patients.

 

2011

  • PELICAN - the comprehensive electronic health record system - is launched.
  • The orthopaedic program is expanded to include two orthopaedic traumatologists.
  • LSU Health Sciences Foundation's inaugural "An Evening for Heroes" is the most successful fundraiser and community awareness event in the history of LSUHSC-S.
  • LSUSTAT, Louisiana's first hospital transfer center for referring physicians and their patients, becomes operational.
  • Smart IV Pumps are put in service throughout hospital.
  • Day pain crisis unit for sickle cell patients opens at Feist-Weiller Cancer Center.
  • New blood donation center opens in LSU Medical Center.
  • New signs enhance the visibility of the LSU Health Shreveport campus.
  • A Shreveport medical student is elected to the LSU Board of Supervisors.
  • LSU Health Shreveport Alexandria Family Medicine Residency Program is one of ten programs cited with the AAFP Foundation Pfizer Immunization Award
  • Research in the lab of Robert E. Rhoads, PhD, leads to a $500,000 licensing deal for potential cancer therapy.
  • The George A. Khoury, Jr. and Dr. Donald G. Mack, Sr. Professorship for the St. Jude Clinic and the Dr. Mingyu Ding Memorial Professorship in Microbiology were matched by the Louisiana Board of Regents.
  • An Interventional Pulmonology procedure is offered to patients.
  • Virtual reality LapSim is introduced to teach laparoscopic surgery skills on virtual patients.
  • Chancellor Emeritus John McDonald passes away.
  • A Hybrid OR suite opened for vascular procedures.
  • The Parkview Baptist Church is acquired by the Health Sciences Foundation with plans for conversion to a conference center and administrative support space.
  • Neuroradiology offers a non-surgical aneurysm treatment.
  • The Medical School launches a Mini Med program for community members.

 

2010

  • LSUHSCS is declared a Smoke Free Campus.
  • LSU Health Shreveport is rolled out as the new marketing identity.
  • Board of Regents establish Ike Muslow, MD Chair in Internal Medicine, Peggy and Aaron Selber , Jr.and Steven Levine, MD Professorship in Endocrinology and Cherie-Ann Nathan, MD Professorship in Otolaryngology/Head and Neck Surgery.
  • Nicholas Goeders, PhD, receives a $3.9 million National Institute on Drug Abuse award to fund research on treatment for cocaine abuse.
  • Institution's new myHSC Intranet website is launched.
  • Work is completed on the Emergency Room Expansion Project, doubling the size of the center.

 

2009

  • Robert A. Barish, MD MBA, is appointed Chancellor and Dean of the LSU Health Sciences Center in Shreveport.
  • A Wound Management residency program in physical therapy begins.
  • Institution's new external website is launched.
  • Health Sciences Foundation receives a $5 million unrestricted gift from estate of attorney Cleveland Burton.
  • LSUHSC-S is one of 13 academic health centers nationwide to be accredited by the Association for Accreditation of Human Research Protection Programs (AAHRPP).
  • Andrew Chesson, Jr., MD is appointed Dean of the School of Medicine.
  • The Board of Regents creates the Gail and Donnie Juneau Chair in Transplantation Surgery, Marianne and Stafford Comegys Professorship in Medical Library Science and Y.K. Reddy Professorship in Allergy and Immunology.

 

2004

  • The School of Allied Health Professions gains administrative separation, and Joseph McCulloch, PhD, is appointed as first Dean.
  • Sandra Roerig, PhD, is appointed the first Dean of Graduate Studies.

 

2000

  • John C. McDonald, MD, is appointed as the first Chancellor and Dean of the LSU Health Sciences Center in Shreveport.

 

1999

  • The institution's name was changed once again from the Louisiana State University Medical Center to the Louisiana State University Health Sciences Center-Shreveport as per Act 802 of the Louisiana Legislature.

 

1993

  • Arthur M. Freeman, III, MD appointed as Dean of the LSU School of Medicine in Shreveport.
  • The ten-story Biomedical Research Institute building was dedicated.

 

1986

  • Darryl M. Williams, MD appointed as Dean of the LSU School of Medicine in Shreveport.

 

1982

  • Perry G. Rigby, MD appointed as Dean of the LSU School of Medicine in Shreveport.

 

1981

  • The Children's Center of the School of Allied Health Professions opens.

 

1980

  • First group of 11 Allied Health Students graduate.

 

1978

  • The name of the Hospital was changed from the Confederate Memorial Medical Center to the LSU Hospital by action of the LSU Board of Supervisors. The entire institution, both hospital and academic campus, became known as the Louisiana State University Medical Center at Shreveport.

 

1977

  • The School of Allied Health Professions in Shreveport was established as a branch of the New Orleans campus. Academic programs in Cardiopulmonary Science, Speech Language Pathology and Medical Technology were offered.

 

1976

  • The Confederate Memorial Medical Center hospital merged with the LSU School of Medicine.
  • The Confederate Memorial Medical Center (CMMC) celebrated its Centennial. The CMMC had its beginnings as the Shreveport Charity Hospital, established on March 2, 1876.

 

1975

  • The five-building LSU School of Medicine complex was dedicated.
  • Ike Muslow, MD appointed as Dean of the LSU School of Medicine in Shreveport.

 

1974

  • The first PhD candidate receives his degree from the Graduate School in Shreveport.

 

1973

  • Clifford G. Grulee, MD appointed as Dean of the School of Medicine in Shreveport.
  • The first class of 31 medical students graduates.

 

1971

  • Dean Edgar Hull presided over the groundbreaking ceremonies for the five-building complex of the Louisiana State University School of Medicine in Shreveport located on Kings Highway.

 

1965

  • After a decade-long struggle, a School of Medicine was finally established in Shreveport. The first class of 32 medical students began their studies on September 15, 1969 at the Veteran's Administration Hospital. Edgar Hull, MD served as the School's first Dean.

 

1953

  • The Confederate Memorial Medical Center was dedicated.

 

1949

  • Ground was broken for the new hospital facility at the corner of Kings Highway and Linwood Avenue. Dedicated to the memory of the Confederate soldiers of the Civil War, the hospital was financed in part through the issuance of bonds secured by surpluses from the Confederate veterans' and widows' pension fund. Therefore, the new hospital was named Confederate Memorial Medical Center.

 

1926

  • Fire at the Shreveport Charity Hospital causes $80,000 in damages, but all 220 patients were safely evacuated.

 

1904

  • A new Shreveport Charity Hospital was built at the Texas Avenue and Murphy Street location.

 

1889

  • Charity Hospital is relocated to Texas Avenue and Murphy Street.

 

1876

  • Act 40 of the Louisiana Legislature established the Shreveport Charity Hospital, located at Pierre Avenue and Ford Street.