What is the SMART Program?
The Science & Medicine Academic Research Training Program provides academically advanced high school seniors who are interested in careers related to medicine, scientific research, and biomedical engineering opportunities to engage in intensive research with medical clinicians, researchers, and academic staff.
What are the eligibility requirements for the SMART Program?
- Must have completed junior year of high school and be preparing for senior year in Caddo or Bossier parishes.
- Must have a High overall grade point average with A's and B's in all science classes.
- Suggested ACT score of 28 (composite or science area).
- Completed or currently enrolled in Biology, Chemistry & Physics.
- Exemplary attendance & behavior (verified by school officials).
- Commitment to work in assigned laboratory full-time for 7 weeks during the summer before senior year.
- Demonstrated interest in a career in research, medicine or biomedical engineering.
- Available transportation to/from LSU Health Shreveport during the summer months as well as school year.
When should I apply for the SMART Program?
Students may apply beginning the last week in January of their junior year.
Who should I contact for more information about the SMART Program?
Ask your senior counselor for a packet today or contact the S.M.A.R.T. Program Coordinator:
Biology Teacher/ Parkway High School
2010 Colleen Dr.
Bossier City, LA 71112
(318) 759-2298 or (318) 617-9436