Visiting Medical Student Guidelines
Applications, elective offerings, and other required submissions will be available on this webpage in late May 2017. Processing of applications will begin in mid June 2017 after we have registered our students to determine availability of slots for visiting students.
For medical students from LCME-accredited schools, please submit your application through VSAS (Visiting Student Application Service). Students from Caribbean or foreign medical schools must follow the application process outlined below.
The departments that will accommodate visiting students are outlined in the Visiting Student Catalog. Please note the blocks for slot availability. Please note the specified requirements outlined for each department. The Department of Internal Medicine will not review applications for students that began medical school before 2011.
Students who have already earned the equivalent of the MD degree at the time of application or by the time of the start date of the elective are not eligible to apply. Please review our observership policy if you are interested in this opportunity.
LSUHSC – Shreveport welcomes qualified international visiting medical students into the senior elective program. Students who are in their final year of medical school are eligible to apply. Applicants must be in good academic standing at their home school, must have their school's approval to participate in the desired elective and must have health and liability insurance coverage.
All electives courses at LSUHSC – Shreveport are part of the official curriculum of the School of Medicine. Qualified visiting students may be accommodated in elective spots that have not been filled by our students. Elective rotation dates must coincide with the scheduled dates of LSUHSC - Shreveport elective periods.
- The International Visiting Medical Student Application must be completed in its entirety for each elective you wish to take. A non-refundable processing fee of $250 for each application per department in the form of check/money order in USA currency only must accompany the application. The check/money order must be made payable to "LSUHSC -Shreveport". A maximum of two applications may be filed by each international visiting student application. You are limited to listing a maximum of three elective choices per department. If you are requesting different electives for another department, an additional charge of $250 will be assessed.
DEADLINE FOR OUR RECEIPT OF THE APPLICATION IS 2 MONTHS PRIOR TO THE STARTING DATE OF THE ELECTIVE. Please review the catalog to determine which blocks are available per elective.
- A completed International Visiting Student Application Checklist must accompany your application.
- Medical School Dean's Recommendation, which must bear the imprint of your school seal and the signature of your school's dean or certifying official.
- A current official transcript of courses completed must accompany the application. The transcript must include clerkship grades for core clerkships. For applicants from India: Official marks or Division class must be indicated for each core clerkship.
- A statement from you which states why you wish to take the elective.
- Your curriculum vitae (CV or resume). In addition, attach a statement to your CV which indicates your USA travel plans - that is, if you will be taking electives at other medical schools in the USA or other USA travel plans (visiting relatives, tourism, etc.).
- A photocopy of your Step 1, USMLE score report (we now require a Step 1 score as part of the application). For DO students, photocopy of COMLEX score report.
- PROOF OF MALPRACTICE/ LIABILITY ($500,000 minimum coverage) AND PERSONAL HEALTH INSURANCE IS REQUIRED. (We do not provide student health or liability coverage for visiting students). You may submit this after approval of your elective; however, you will not be cleared until both malpractice and health insurance documentation is provided.
- You must also submit a passport sized photo.
- Health clearance must be completed in order for the student to be permitted to start their rotation.
- Course directors will not permit an International Visiting Medical Student to begin an elective until the department has received confirmation that the student has registered through the Office of the Registrar and has provided all requested documentation, and all other forms have been received and satisfactorily completed.
- Visiting students MUST apply through the Office of the Registrar for all electives.
- LSUHSC – Shreveport does not issue student or visiting scholar visas (obtained through an I-20 or IAP-66) for students accepted as an International Visiting medical student. Non-citizens of the United States may apply for a B-1 visitor visa through their local United States Embassy or Consulate on their own. Students are responsible for assuring their compliance with all applicable US immigration and Department of Homeland Security rules and regulations.
- Visiting students are not permitted to contact the course directors directly. ALL inquires MUST go through the Office of the Registrar.
- Please review the provided material thoroughly and select an elective program carefully. It is the student's responsibility to submit all documents as requested and review the Visiting Student Catalog to determine which electives are available for international medical students.
Inquiries and requests for the "International Visiting Medical Student" program should be directed to:
Office of the Registrar
LSU Health Sciences Center – Shreveport
1501 Kings Hwy., Room 1-212
Shreveport, LA 71130-3932
Note: If you are applying for electives in two different departments, you should do the following:
- Fill out one application form but enclose one check in the amount of $500 ($250 application fee for each department)
- Enclose the documents (one copy of each is sufficient):
a. Dean's Letter
b. Official Transcript
c. Photocopy of your Step 1 score, USMLE
d. Your curriculum vitae (CV) or resume
- You will need to write two different statements about why you wish to take the elective in each department.
Notification or approval or denial
All component of the application should be mailed in one package. Applications will not be processed until all completed component parts have been received. Please note the application deadline. Students will be notified of approval or denial, as soon as they are approved, at least 4 weeks prior to the start date of the requested elective.
Withdrawal and Cancellation
Students who withdraw their application less than 2 weeks prior to the start of the elective may have a letter of complaint sent to the Dean of their medical school.
Students who are unable to obtain a visa in time to start the elective are permitted one rescheduling to another month pending departmental approval. An approved elective may be rescheduled only once. Only one elective may be rescheduled.
A second cancellation will result in a minimum of 9 months before a new application will be accepted.